Apply for a scholarship
Our maths scholarships support enthusiastic under-resourced
high school students with one-on-one maths mentoring
What a scholarship offers
- A minimum of 18 hours of free one-on-one maths mentoring
- An opportunity to learn from from a passionate and dedicated maths expert
- A safe and stimulating space in which to learn
What you need to have
- An eagerness to improve your maths skills
- A commitment to attend a 2 hour session once a week for a minimum of 9 weeks
- Proof of financial need or hardship (e.g. ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance, or a Health Care Card)
What you need to do
- Download a nomination pack.
- The nomination pack contains 2 forms. One is for you and your parent/guardian to complete and return to us. Aside from confirming financial eligibility this is an opportunity for you to tell us why you think you'd benefit from mathematical mentoring.
- Have a current or recent maths teacher complete and return to us the other form. This gives us some preliminary information about how you are tracking in school. Please note, academic achievement is NOT a selection criteria, this is simply data that will help us pair you with an appropriate mentor.
If you are successful
- We will schedule a time to speak on the phone to discuss availability as well to establish an appropriate mathematical starting point for the first mentoring session.
- At the first session an Institute team member will meet you and introduce you to your mentor at the agreed venue. At the end of the session we will follow up to confirm the arrangement going forward.
- Throughout the term of engagement we will be available to both you and your mentor to assist in any way we can.
- Prior to each session both you and your mentor will be sent email reminders of the time and location.
- We will meet with both you and your mentor to discuss your experiences and thoughts on the progress achieved.
- Each of you will be awarded a unique, artist produced, Certificate of Completion.
- If both you and your mentor are in agreement the scholarship will be rolled into the next term.